- 20th-century Decorative Art
- Arms and Armour
- Books, Manuscripts and Maps
- Classical Antiquities, Coins and Medals
- Clocks, Barometers and instruments
- Jewellery, Snuff Boxes and Miniatures
- Medieval art
- Modern Art
- Oriental and Asian Art
- Paintings, Drawings and Prints
- Porcelain, Ceramics and Glass
- Tribal and Pre-Columbian Art
- Metal ware
- Textiles, Carpets and Tapestries
- Works of Art
- De Suppoost
Thumbs up for ......
The Map Collections Of The British Museum Library
For continental territories, especially those of Hanoverian connection, the holdings are of comparable richness. The whole collection comprises some 50,000 maps and charts and was the finest geographical collection of its day. In the event the special military and political interest of the collection nearly led to the Museum losing it. The collection was to come to the Museum as part of the King’s Library in 1828. In June 1828 the Treasury approved ‘the immediate removal of the King’s Library to the British Museum,’ and in August the library arrived. Then came the news that J. H. Glover, one of the Assistant Librarians of the Royal Library, was authorized to retain ‘the whole of the Military Plans, the Charts, Topography and Geography, the catalogue whereof are contained in Six Volumes folio, exclusive of the Military Plans’. The Trustees at an emergency meeting learnt that Nicholas Carlisle, the King’s Under-Librarian, had authorized Glover ‘to deliver the Charts and the whole of the Geography and Topography to Capt Parry, whenever Capt Parry should demand them’. The Trustees urgently required Robert Peel as Home Secretary to see that the charts and the collections of geography and topography were transferred to the Museum. Peel was to point out to the King that ‘the Trustees feel the great advantage of making the British Museum the general depository of all these valuable Collections’. They would make them available to any Department of State which wished to see them. It was finally agreed that ‘the Nautical Charts only shall be transmitted to the Admiralty’, and that the other collections might come with the rest to the Museum, since it was found on enquiry that there was ‘not room for their proper Custody in those offices to which the Topographical and Geographical collections might have been most useful’. Any other interested department must be given the ‘utmost facility of access for the purpose of consulting them’.  Thus the collections were saved for the Museum. In 1844 the Lords Commissioners on the recommendation of Sir John Barrow and Captain Beaufort offered to the Museum ‘the Old Maps, Charts and Books which formerly belonged to His Majesty King George III . . . of which no use whatever was made’. The Museum’s officers reported that the material received ‘fell short of what was shewn’ to them, and it was not until 1952 that some forty of the missing items were identified in the Admiralty Library and transferred by the Lords of the Admiralty.  Another dispute, this time about the custody of certain military maps, arose in 1836 when J. Hignett wrote to the Board of Ordnance on 28 October to report that he had seen Board of Ordnance maps in the British Museum forming part of George III’s gift, which were perhaps of significance for defence and ought not to be seen by the public. The Board of Ordnance wrote to William IV on 4 November pointing out that the plans had been ‘inadvertently sent’ to the British Museum with the topographical collection. In fact, they had only been sent to George III for his approval and he had not been meant to keep them, and their return was requested. The Board of Ordnance sent Sir Frederick Smith and Samuel Howlett (Chief Draughtsman at the Tower) to the Museum to inspect the plans. On 15th February 1837 a letter from the British Museum refused the return of the plans, as they had been given to the nation with the full approval of Parliament, and the dispute continued until 1838.  A great disappointment which the Museum suffered was the loss of Gough’s collection of British maps and anti¬quarian material. He had offered his whole collection in 1802, but later changed his mind, leaving his collections to the Bodleian Library which thus became that ‘safest port’ where the Gough map and its companion collections were to find their resting place. ‘He was capricious and very often made short turns’, Sir Henry Ellis reported when closely examined on the matter by the Parliament Select Committee of Enquiry which looked into the affairs of the Museum in 1835.
At the same time Antonio Panizzi, then Assistant in the Department of Printed Books, and later to be acclaimed the greatest of nineteenth century Principal Librar¬ians, was becoming concerned over the financial neglect of the Department - the ‘want of a sufficient fund’, as Gough had called it. He asked in 1837 for £1,000 ‘to form a geographical collection which might be called complete’, and recommended the employment of a special bookseller to assist in the purchasing of suitable maps. It is interesting to note that in a memoir of 1848 Edme-François Jomard was setting out the same arguments for ‘un dépôt générale de géographie’ in the Bibliothèque du Roi (the Bibliothèque Nationale) and holding up the British Museum as a model. Henceforward the Museum pursued an active policy of acquiring modern foreign maps, by exchange or purchase. British works were acquired by copyright deposit, on the theory that the Museum was inheritor of the Old Royal Library’s rights to receive English books from the Stationers’ Company. An Act of 1814 extended the right, but the full application of the principle was not achieved until the Copyright Act of 1911.
Major acquisitions of special collections were made from time to time. In 1861 the Museum purchased the Beudeker Collection, comprising 24 volumes (out of a collection of 27) of maps and views of the Netherlands, 1600-1750. Christoffel Beudeker, a rich Amsterdam merchant who died in 1756, had grangerized Blaeu’s town atlas of the Netherlands. In 1880 the Crace Collection of London Plans and Views was acquired by purchase. These were collected by Frederick Crace, Com-missioner for Sewers, and came to the Museum from his son John Gregory, who had edited the catalogue.  The maps and plans are kept in the Map Room, the views in the Department of Prints and Drawings. The more recent acquisition of Ordnance Survey original drawings, supplement the Map Room’s almost complete set of all editions of Ordnance Survey printed maps and plans. Finally, the most valuable purchase of maps in the Museum’s history was made in 1968 when the Trustees bought the sheet map collection of the Royal United Service Institution. This comprised two important collections for North America and Great Britain, the map collections of Lord Amherst, Commander-in-Chief in the Seven Years War, and of Sir Augustus Frazer, who appears to have acquired and passed to the R.U.S.I. a major topographical archive preserved at Woolwich. A third smaller collection, also relating to America and Great Britain, is that of Richard A. Davenport. The other major collection is the ‘H.J.’ collection - presented to the R.U.S.I. by Sir Harry Jones —comprising nearly 600 manuscript maps of continental theatres of war - many of them of Prussian origin, which suggests that the collection may once have come from a Prussian archive.
New comments are currently disabled.
Was it of interest? Why not share it with others!